Dimensions of Faith
Faith is defined as the substance of things hoped for , the evidence of things not seen (Hebr.11:1). Jesus pointed out to various aspects of faith life during His ministry on this earth. This anchor keeps us from being flown away by the tides and waves of this world. These days as life is getting tougher and tougher with each passing day, we see many lives doubting and falling away from grace. Many are unable to withstand the tough times and the uncertainty. While many are growing weary in their faith life. It’s time to take heed to our faith life, so that we can identify all that can destroy it.
Let’s ponder on various dimensions of faith which can refresh and renew our faith life .
- The great faith : 8:10, ‘’When Jesus heard it, He marveled, and said to those who followed, “Assuredly, I say to you, I have not found such great faith, not even in Israel! ‘’ Here we see how the servant of the centurion gets healed. We do not know whether the servant knew or had heard about Jesus, but he got healed on the basis of the faith of the centurion. The spoken Word of Christ touched the sick servant and was healed the same hour. The power of His Word reached the servant even before the centurion reached . This complete trust in His Word is rare. Jesus said He could not find such faith in Israel. The trust in the power and authority of His Word is great and here, no channel of touching or even going to the concerned place is felt essential. i.e. the Word rightly touched the point and the life it’s aimed at. It does not need any visible channel. Are we still waiting for certain visible channels to receive the power and authority of God’s Word ?
- The little faith : Math.8:26, ‘But He said to them, “Why are you fearful, O you of little faith?”Then He arose and rebuked the winds and the sea, and there was a great calm.’’ The disciples got scared when the waters filled the boat and they feared that they would perish. Though Jesus was with them physically, He was sleeping. This made them think that the Lord neither knew about their situation nor did He care. This was a big question on the divine nature of the Lord as the God of being everywhere and all knowing. The overwhelming situations diminish the conception about God because they steal the complete focus of our mind. This creates room for fear and anxiety. Our heart and mind is filled with what we focus. Let’s take care to be filled with His Word and presence even when situations are unfavorable, for little faith is always fearful.
- According to our faith : 9:29, ‘’Then He touched their eyes, saying, “According to your faith let it be to you.” 30 And their eyes were opened. ….’’. Here when Jesus said ‘’according to your faith’, he pointed out to several levels of faith. Some have little faith but some have more. Each will get blessings as per their faith level. Here, the two blind men believed that Jesus could heal them completely. Hence, their faith was rewarded. Without faith we cannot please God and without faith we cannot receive anything from God. As we grow in the knowledge and revelation of His Word, our faith grows. We need to take all efforts to grow in faith for the just shall live by faith.
- Deepening of faith : 17:20-21, ‘’So Jesus said to them, “Because of your [e]unbelief; for assuredly, I say to you, if you have faith as a mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there,’ and it will move; and nothing will be impossible for you. 21 [f]However, this kind does not go out except by prayer and fasting.”’ The disciples of Jesus could not cast out the demon out of a boy who suffered from epileptic. Jesus said that it was because of their unbelief. Such issues needed deeper faith which comes through fasting and prayer. Fasting enables a person to have more of self-control over their flesh, the feelings of flesh etc. Flesh acts against faith. Flesh goes by sight while faith goes by trust. When fasting is accompanied by fervent prayers, we are lead to repentance and purification of our lives. The Lord helps us to identify our hidden sins , which when we repent of, our faith and trust in the Lord deepens. Such lives are able to grow much in faith level. Unbelief is a great sin, which has a tendency to creep into any heart. Hence, regular fasting and prayer is essential to keep this away from our lives.
- Weariness in faith :18:6-8, ‘’Then the Lord said, “Hear what the unjust judge said. 7 And shall God not avenge His own elect who cry out day and night to Him, though He bears long with them? 8 I tell you that He will avenge them speedily. Nevertheless, when the Son of Man comes, will He really find faith on the earth?” The Lord spoke a parable about a persistent widow, who did not get weary from asking the judge again and again for justice from her adversary. And then He wondered if He would find faith when He would return in glory. Times are such that we easily give up. We have a mindset of having all things as soon as we pray. But the Lords ways and thoughts are above ours. To sustain in faith, even when we have to endure long waiting periods, its essential not to be weary. The one who waits upon the Lord is time and again strengthened by His Spirit. Its been more than 2000 years since the Lord resurrected. He promised that He would return in glory. But as times passes by, is our faith regarding this truth strong and firm ? If so, are we really getting prepared for His coming ? Or are we getting entangled in the affairs of this world and loosing the hope of His return ? Let us cling to His Word. Let us discern the seasons and times by all that is happening in this world. The one who promised is faithful. Faith without patience is disastrous.
- Faith is the gift of Holy Spirit. 1 Cor.12 : 9, ‘’ …..to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healings by [f]the same Spirit, ….’’ Jesus is the author and finisher of our faith life. Faith being a gift of His Spirit, cannot be handled in physical realm. It’s origin, growth and its working is all in the spiritual realm. But we see its end results in the physical realm. Hence, spiritual food is essential to grow and sustain in this gift. Faith lives have never failed. They have never given up. Hebrews 11 is a chapter on the victorious faith lives. But all who handled faith aspects from the physical aspect were disciplined and many have ended up in failures and darkness. Zachariah, the priest doubted the angel of the Lord when he said that they would have a child. He was disciplined with a bound tongue till the baby John was born to the aged Elizabeth. Let us not measure faith aspects in the physical realm. Instead may our spiritual eyes open to discern them spiritually.
- Perfect faith : 12:2,’’….looking unto Jesus, the [a]author and [b]finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.’’ Jesus Himself started His faith life when He came into this world as man and He finished His faith life when He sat down at the right hand of the throne. Reaching the destined point of our faith life is the time of perfect faith. Today we read and believe the Word of God. But as we endure the trials and temptations of this world, we are moving closer to our eternal destination, where we will see all that we believe today in the physical realm. That’s the time when our faith will be called ‘perfect’. Now we are all in the process of being perfected through faith. 1 Jn.3:2-3, ‘’.. now we are children of God; and it has not yet been revealed what we shall be, but we know that when He is revealed, we shall be like Him, for we shall see Him as He is. 3 And everyone who has this hope in Him purifies himself, just as He is pure.’’
Dear friends, its time to seriously put efforts to be lifted up in faith life, for the challenges coming against it is great. Times and seasons are loudly and clearly announcing the arrival of our glorious God. Its time to mend our faith lives. Let us spend more time in His Word and prayer. Let us repent of our sinful ways and be purified. May our faith lives be perfected and we all be found in the eternal joy and peace of His kingdom.
God bless us all
The Lord is His name !
Ex. 2 : 23-25, ‘’So God heard their groaning, and God remembered His covenant with Abraham, with Isaac, and with Jacob. 25 And God looked upon the children of Israel, and God acknowledged them.’’ The Egyptians afflicted the Israelites for they feared that they would outgrow in number and would join their enemies in case of any attack. But the Israelites kept […]
You are invited to Join & Watch our Online Service this 16th October 2020 @ 5:30 PM onwards (Asia/Dubai)
Exaltation by Robin Thomas , Praise & Worship by The Remnant & Sermon by Pastor George .W. Macharia (Kenya)
Subscribe to our channel: YouTube – https://www.youtube.com/c/ChurchoftheR…
Twitter – https://www.twitter.com/ctrronline
Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/ctrronline
Instagram – https;//www.instagram.com/ctrronline
Visit our website: www.thectrr.org
CTRR Online Service – 16th October 2020
There are times when life is overwhelming, when all we have is questions. In those moments, hope can feel far away. The great thing about prayer is that it shifts our perspective toward the One who stands ready to listen. No matter what you’re facing, we’d love to pray with you!