Joshua, the son of Nun
Josh.3:7, ‘’And the Lord said to Joshua, “This day I will begin to exalt[d] you in the sight of all Israel, that they may know that, as I was with Moses, so I will be with you.’’
Joshua, the son of Nun was the 2nd leader of Israelites after Moses. He closely followed Moses and learnt. Today if Israelites represents the universal church, Joshua represents the remnant of this universal church. Joshua was prepared well to take up this position of a leader. But more than that, we see a few factors in his life, which differentiated from others and which helped him to be fruitful in his calling. These marks the remnant and sanctifies them from the rest in the universal church. Let us observe seven main features of this character and learn from the same.
- Joshua, the son of Nun represents an ongoing ministry i.e. a ministry that never ends. It is the Lord who begins a ministry. Every ministry is handed over to a person or a group of people. And with time, these lives become so dominant in our human eyes that we ignore the One who is actually carrying the whole ministry. Israelites found it difficult to go ahead without Moses, for they had seen Moses right from the time they were in Egypt. But time came when God asked Moses to handover the rod of leadership to Joshua, who later on lead the people to inherit the promised land. God said that He would be with Joshua in the same way He was with Moses. We, as the remnant, ought to focus on the invisible God carrying out the whole church rather than the visible personalities used by God from time to time.
- Joshua represents the remnant with a different spirit. Lakhs of people set their journey from Egypt, and it is amazing to see that none except Joshua and Caleb reached Canan. Two out of lakhs and lakhs is a mind-boggling fraction. Today, when we see many falling away from grace and going astray, let us be reminded that the Lord has foreseen few Joshua’s and Caleb’s in this journey of faith, who have a different spirit. They represent the remnant. Though very few in number, there is always a remnant, set apart, purified who are being prepared for the end days. So, let the remnant never focus on number, but always on the presence of the Holy Spirit.
- Joshua represents a positive attitude in the midst of negative speaking. 14:6-7, ‘’ But Joshua the son of Nun and Caleb the son of Jephunneh, who were among those who had spied out the land, tore their clothes; 7 and they spoke to all the congregation of the children of Israel, saying: “The land we passed through to spy out is an exceedingly good land.’’ Joshua depended completely on the Lord and His word. He believed God’s promises. He refused to be influenced by the people around. He was a person of integrity. He stood for what he believed, and he spoke what he stood for. The remnant is full of positive attitude & energy. They see success in the midst of failures, hope in midst of hopelessness.
- Joshua represents a person who clings to the presence of the Lord. 33:11, ‘’So the Lordspoke to Moses face to face, as a man speaks to his friend. And he would return to the camp, but his servant Joshua the son of Nun, a young man, did not depart from the tabernacle.’’ Moses represented God to the Israelites, and he represented God’s people to God. The Lord’s presence often came down as the cloudy pillar and talked to Moses. The tabernacle was filled with His presence. Joshua loved to continue to be in His presence, even when Moses would depart out of the tabernacle. Once we, the remnant, taste His presence, we tend to cling to the same, for nothing more satisfies our soul. And being able to cling to His presence is the only assurance to be led into the promise of eternal life. This thirst and longingness to cling and sustain in His presence sets the remnant apart from the rest.
- Joshua represents faithfulness. He was a faithful servant. He obeyed Moses and he never rebelled against his leader. He closely followed Moses everywhere and observed him. He was a great help to Moses in leading and guiding the people, so much so that even the Lord did not see any other person from the entire congregation to replace Moses. V 17 shows that the Lord saw a faithful shepherd in Joshua, who would faithfully go before the people and lead them. 27:18, ‘’And the Lordsaid to Moses: “Take Joshua the son of Nun with you, a man in whom is the Spirit, and lay your hand on him;’’
- Joshua represents a well-armed soldier, always ready to fight on the basis of the counsel of the Lord. He faithfully waged every war in faith and God gave him victory. Thus, he was able to inherit the land of Canan as promised by the Lord. 8:26, ‘’For Joshua did not draw back his hand, with which he stretched out the spear, until he had utterly destroyed all the inhabitants of Ai. ‘’ The spiritual life is a spiritual war. To be assured to inherit the promised eternal life, we, the remnant ought to put on the armor of God and always be a watchful and faithful soldier till the end, aiming to thrust out every sin that tends to inhabit our lives.
- Last but not the least, Joshua represents the priority for holiness above all other things. After being ordinated as the leader of Israelites, Joshua led the people. He was given authority and power by the Lord. But Joshua always gave much importance to holiness. 5:15, ‘’Then the Commander of the Lord’s army said to Joshua, “Take your sandal off your foot, for the place where you stand is holy.” And Joshua did so.’’ Joshua willingly took off his sandals of impurity. By doing so, he acknowledged that none, including him can stand before the holiness of God. This humbleness caused the Lord to uplift him.
After forty years of wilderness, two souls out of the lakhs of souls who set out their journey from Egypt set their foot on the promised Canan. All the rest were destroyed in the midst of their journey. All were called to inhabit Canan, but only two of them were chosen for same. Many are called but only few are chosen. The response divided the whole congregation into two groups…. remnant and the congregation. As the clock continues to tick and bring the world into the end days and then to the day of the Lord, let us pursue the Lord’s presence and be the part of remnant like Joshua. Let us take every care to respond like Joshua did. May 2021 see a great fruitfulness in our lives. And through this, may we see a great harvest this year.
God bless us all.
Out of lion’s den
Daniel 6: 23, ‘’ Now the king was exceedingly glad for him, and commanded that they should take Daniel up out of the den. So Daniel was taken up out of the den, and no injury whatever was found on him, because he believed in his God.’’ The Word says that nothing happens in our lives without […]
Join us for our Online Service as we invite you to exalt the name of the Lord and praise Him and Worship Him!
Exaltation by Ruby Thomas , Praise & Worship by the Remnant & Message From The Word by Guest Pastor Linu Thomas
Have a blessed service ahead! God Bless us all!
An Invitation to Join Our Online Service – 26th Feburary 2021 @ 5:30PM onwards (Asia/Dubai)
There are times when life is overwhelming, when all we have is questions. In those moments, hope can feel far away. The great thing about prayer is that it shifts our perspective toward the One who stands ready to listen. No matter what you’re facing, we’d love to pray with you!